Friday, August 24, 2007

My unexpected trip to Maine....

So I made an unexpected trip to Maine this past week. What I mean by unexpected is I was not planning on going anywhere this week, but my dad was sick so I went up to see him. I chose to drive up. I actually enjoy driving, when I am actually moving that is. In other words I hate sitting in traffic that is not moving, and even worse is traffic that is not moving for no apparent reason. You sit in it for miles then all the sudden it starts to move again. I did have lots of good music to keep me entertained though. I listened to quite the variety of things both on the way up and back.

Things I learned during my trip:

- Never drive to Maine on a Saturday. That is when all the Tourists are headed up there for vacations and as a result all 4 of the toll booths at the stop going into Maine are backed up for miles (To New Hampshire who also needs to learn about toll booth management. Yea they might want to look into adding a few more booths to handle all the traffic.
- NY has the worst roads
- NJ still sucks… Ugh the traffic was terrible on the way back, and for no apparent reason.
- It is a beautiful drive up to Maine.
- I could make the trip in less than 8 hours if I didn’t get stuck in traffic.
- Easy pass is a wonderful thing; I have no idea why I did not get it sooner. It would be even better if some states ran it better.
- I want to take more road trips; I forgot how much I miss them.
- Riding on a motorcycle is a lot of fun and a great way to experience things around you. (Okay I already knew that but I was reminded of it this trip.) I am going to have to get my M class license here before long. Maybe in the spring I will look into it once I see what my course load is like at school.
- NEVER point out a guy you think is cute to the rest of the family. They will not think twice about stopping him and asking his name and if he is single or not, some might even go as far as taking a picture when they are not looking. Poor Emily….
- Bobbi can’t go anywhere without running into at least 5 people she knows.
- Porcupines like to eat storage sheds
- When Emily blows her nose it sounds like some sort of wild animal
- When you get sick, doctors make you keep a journal of things going in your body and coming back out. Yep Dad has a poop journal.
- The French have some weird taste when it comes to their houses. The neighbors had a green garage and a BRIGHT purple door on it. Dad’s house was built by a French mason in the 70’s and there is a few really interesting things about it. Specifically the flower in the plaster of the ceiling where the ceiling fan is. Wrong, really wrong.
- My family likes to go out to eat.
- Just because you buy a Finch feeder doesn’t mean they will not come eat from your feeder when the neighbor has 10 hanging up.
- My dad will collect just about anything. He has a Subway booth in his carport.


So here is a brief run down of what I did while up there.

The visit was nice. Dad had no idea I was coming so He was quite surprised when I pulled in the driveway and walked up the front walk. I was glad I could surprise him. We went out to Longhorn the first night I was there. Of course Dad and Bobbi knew all the wait staff and the managers in the place. You could tell they eat there a lot. The food was really good. Then it was back to the house and just relaxing for the rest of the night since dad was still not feeling the greatest.

Sunday was the day Susie flew in. So dad and I went to Portland to pick her up while Bobbi went to teach her Sunday school class. Her flight was late and she was dead tired by the time she got in. She was able to catch up on a little sleep on the way home. Once we got home it was lunch time, and after that Me Susie, and Dad all ended up taking naps. I love a nice Sunday afternoon nap…. For Dinner We cooked out on the Grill and had steak and chicken. Emily came up and Bobbi’s brother and his family came. It was very nice.

Monday was a gorgeous day. So us girls, Susie, Bobbi, Emily and I, headed down to Boothbay Harbor for the day. We could not have ordered up a more perfect day weather wise. We went to See Uncle Brett’s Rock store, It is a little jewelry shop called Harbor Stones. Very cool stuff. We went too a few different T-shirt shops and I got myself 2 T-shirts and a sweatshirt, well I should Say Bobbi got them for me, since Dad told her to buy them for Susie and I. The we walked across the foot bridge to go have lunch. Susie Got her shore dinner which was clams and Lobster, or as we now call it, Clams and Bob. We went on a harbor cruise to see seals, we saw their heads bobbing in the distance, so not many seal sightings but a nice cruise. Everyone but me was freezing when we were out on the boat. Despite freezing while on the boat we all had to go for Ice cream afterwards. Yummy!!! It was a fun day.. So glad Emily was able to stay the night and go with us.

My last night in town we decided to go out to eat at Ruby Tuesday’s. We were able to track down the cute manager that Bobbi says is Emily’s type. They spotted him when they were there having lunch the other week, but poor Emily was having a nervous break down that day. Bobbi wanted her to talk to him but there was no way she would do it. He helped our waitress bring our food plates to our table. So dad seized the opportunity to ask him his name, Chris, and then Bobbi explained why and then asked if he was single, turns out he is engaged. It is a good thing Emily wasn’t there; she would have been under the table hiding from sheer embarrassment. We also found out that night that the cute guy that works with Brett is living with someone. Back to the drawing board…

Coming home was a big let down. But it was great to have a real break for a few days. It was the closest to a real vacation I have had all year. Yes I went to Vegas twice but I really didn’t get to do as much relaxing as I would have liked, or needed to do.

Here are all the picture I took while in Maine..