Monday, August 13, 2007

I wish I could run away for the day.....

Do you ever have those days where you wish you could be a kid again? I am having one of those days today. I want to just take all my stresses and cares and put them on a shelf for one day and go play.

I remember the days when I was not up visiting my dad or grandparents, and not with my favorite Aunt and cousins at my grand mother’s house swimming when I would go biking or putting my roller skates on and being pulled behind someone else’s bike down to a little creek where we would hang out for the day just skipping rocks, trying to catch tadpoles, wading in the water, and dreaming of what we wanted to be when we grew up. We had this bridge we would hang out near because it was shade on the really hot days and had some great acoustics when we would try to sing our favorite top 20 hits of the day. Lets just say none of my group had a future in singing. Of course none of our parents really had a clue where we were. ½ of us had parents that worked all day and the other ½ had mom’s at home that thought they were just at someone else’s house playing.

We always had our big cassette walkmans with us and would usually run the batteries down before the end of the day, swapping out our tapoes of music recorded off the radio. We would all bring our “lunches” with us. Now trust me the term lunch is used very loosely here because despite the occasional peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, or peanut butter and pickle in my case, there were usually a lot of snacks, mini bags of chips, fruit roll-ups, tasty cakes, pop tarts, little Debbie snacks, and of course someone always brought candy like pop rocks etc… Of course we all had out frozen Capri suns and juice boxes too, sometimes the occasional can of coca-cola. We all swapped and shared our treats with each other and I can’t recall anyone being able to eat a fruit roll-up without wrapping it around their fingers first. And thinking back to how grubby we would get I am sure today I would cringe at the idea of eating with my hands that dirty let alone wrapping my food around them then eating it off.

None of us had any idea of what time it was because even the few of us that owned watches at the time never wore them. We would just head home when it started to get dark. In late summer that wasn’t such a bad thing, in eerily summer though we tended to get home a little later than we should have.


So today I would really like to grab a can of coke and a peanut butter and pickle sandwich and a bag of Doritos and head off to some quite place by the water, with very few to no people passing by, and just kick back and skip some rocks with no cell phone or concept of time. I wonder if a blackberry would actually skip better than rocks do…. I would bring my ipod with me over the clunky cassette walkman I used to carry around. Oh and some anti bacterial gel for my hands too. LOL

However I don’t think I would be able to relax knowing that reality is still there waiting for me to com back so it can smack me around some more. Too much going on right now and too many responsibilities. Even if I could teleport back to one of those lazy summer days if my dad was sick I would still be worried, and if one of my best friends was still treating me like garbage I would still be hurt. (Of course back then I probably would have thrown rocks at said friend instead of trying to skip them) So even being a kid again really wouldn’t help much, but being an adult still is the less desirable situation sometimes….