Monday, August 18, 2008

China is making its move in more than the olympics

Will there come a day when historians will write about how the United States globalized the world, but forgot to globalize itself.

I am sort of deviating from my normal blog entry, which I admit have been slow to come lately and I apologize to those that stalk my blog that there has been nothing new and exciting to read. I will get back on track I promise.

So yesterday I was working from home and flipping through the channels to see if I could find something good to watch. I came across the CBS news show called Sunday Morning and they were talking about China’s rapidly growing economy.

Here is a link to the entire article: Coming soon a Post-American World

And here is the Carnegie study they mention: China’s Economic Rise—Fact and Fiction

I found them an interesting read and some of the estimates they give are staggering. Such as in one economic model they show that China’s economy will be as big as if not bigger than the US by 2035 and by 2050 it will be twice the size of the US economy.

And here are some quotes from the Sunday Morning transcript of the piece by Martha Teichner

” And it's happening right under our noses. America's beverage, Budweiser beer, is now owned by Belgians.

The government of Abu Dhabi last month bought a 90% stake in New York City's iconic Chrysler Building.

And isn't the United States supposed to be the place with the biggest and best of everything?

The tallest building in the world isn't in New York or Chicago anymore. It's in Taipei.

The Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota, once the world's largest, isn't even in the top ten now. The biggest one's in - surprise, surprise - China.”