Monday, June 8, 2009

Thought provoking testimony

So in Church this past Sunday there was a great Testimony given by my friend Elizabeth. She recently had to deal with a nasty infection in her mouth that she like many of us would do let it go for too long because it was not hurting and when she finally could not wait any longer for the surgery the lovely drugs that are used to keep you from screaming out in pain and scaring the other patients was not able to work through the infected tissue.. She did survive despite having to endure the pain she was in due to neglecting to completely take care of the infection instead of doing minor tweaks with antibiotics as soon as it was discovered.

However, she learned a big lesson from this experience and compared it to another area of her life. Now although her story of putting things off, especially when pain is involved, really rang true with me this next part did even more so. I am taking some paraphrasing liberties here and maybe not the exact point she made but it was what she shared that made me think about this. SO Elizabeth if you are reading this and I twisted your beautiful testimony forgive me please... She talked about how we let the world in or more worldy things into our lives and it slowly eats away at us, and if we do no do regular spiritual check ups and put off cleaning up areas of our life it can get to the point where it is no longer a little thing to deal with and now it is a much more complicated and sometimes painful thing to deal with. So you have to move on from spiritual antibiotics to a spiritual surgery or two...

I know this will take on a different meaning for many different people. For me this is what I personally took away from it. I have known for a little while now that life has gotten to overwhelming, and I also know it is because things of the world have become too large and imposing on certain aspects of my life. Now that I am finally done with school I am seeing it even more so. While in school I had tunnel vision to get done with classes and other things were sliding but I really didn't realize how much till I was starting to try to get some order back in my life. So I have the goal to get things back in control but I also know it is not something that can be done over night or with just one or two changes, it is going to take several areas of change.

First up for me is getting rid of some of the physical things cluttering up my life. So far I have 5 bags of clothing/shoes/purses, 4 boxes of misc knick knacks and a couple pieces of furniture for the good will, and lots more to be added to that I am sure. I have not even thought about going through everything in the basement yet, or my scrap booking supplies. While I work on that I am also going to work on getting some sort of a routine back, to help manage my time better, since i have so little free time still.

Lots more to do and lots to think about, but I am glad I am thinking about it and working on it all.